It is with a heavy heart we report that on Saturday, November 14, a shooting occurred in our store in Concord, North Carolina, resulting in the loss of one of our Discount Tire family members. The suspect has been arrested and charged.
There remains an ongoing investigation with the local police department and surrounding agencies. We are indebted to their service, response and support. No additional details other than public media statements are available at this time.
Words cannot express the loss we are feeling. The entire Discount Tire family mourns this loss as we all work through this together. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of our beloved Discount Tire family member.
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a free, confidential resource for Discount Tire / America’s Tire / Discount Tire Direct employees and is available 24/7, whenever and wherever you need it. Call 844-285-1067 to speak with a counselor about personal issues affecting you or someone in your household. For additional resources, please visit our Support Programs and Services Page.
Full-time employees enrolled in the UHC medical insurance plans may call the number on the back of their medical card to speak with a Health Advocate, who can help find a medical or behavioral health care provider and/or put you in contact with additional support services covered by your plan, such as Talkspace Online Therapy.
The Safety of Our People and Our Customers is always our first consideration
As COVID-19 restrictions are loosened, more and more businesses are opening and people are beginning to resume some of their pre-COVID-19 activities. It is extremely important for you to remember, we are still in the midst of a pandemic. Be sure to protect yourself, your family, your coworkers and our customers by following social distancing guidelines at work AND in your personal life.
Precautions You Should Take
- Review the Self Health Assessment EVERYDAY prior to coming to work and follow all established Company guidelines for COVID-19 at work.
- Outside of work, follow the guidelines imposed by your local, state, territorial, and/or tribal health and safety laws, rules and regulations.
- Practice good hygiene, stay home when you are sick, practice social distancing and use a face covering when possible in community settings.
- Continue to assess the current conditions to decide whether you should postpone, cancel or reduce the number of attendees for any planned gatherings.
- When in isolation, stay isolated. Do not participate in non-essential activities during isolation periods.
Know Your Risks
Attending virtual activities/events, such as Facetime, Zoom Meetings, Skype, Teams meetings
Outdoor in-person gatherings with a small number of people from the same local area, such as your neighbors, friends or family that live near you
In-person gatherings allowing for individuals to social distance at least 6 feet apart, but individuals may attend from outside your local area, such as small to medium sized weddings, family reunions, barbecues, limited seating restaurants
In-person gatherings of a large number of people where social distancing is not always possible and may include individuals from outside the local area, such as bars, large social gatherings/rallies, sporting events
Tips to Remember
- The more people you interact with, the higher your risk of becoming infected.
- The larger the group at a gathering/event, the higher your risk of becoming infected.
- The longer your interactions are with people, the higher your risk of becoming infected.
- The higher the rate of community transmission, the higher your risk of becoming infected.
Your activities outside of work may affect the health and safety of your family, loved ones and coworkers.
An update on how we’re supporting our Discount Tire Families
Learn more about how Discount Tire is supporting our employees and their families.
COVID-19 and Unemployment Information by State
Learn more about COVID-19, unemployment and emergency childcare available in your state. Each state may offer slightly different resources.